Sunday, November 8, 2020

In Search of Bahamian History

My search for the origin of my French last name began in 1987, as  I reflected on how my father's name "Charles Leonard Poitier" and that of my siblings, aunts and uncle were connected to Cat Island:How did the last name reached Cat Island, Bahamas.Therefore, I began my investigations, leafing through pages of Encloypedia Americana, at a time when the Internet was in the early stages, took long hours.
Weeks, then months passed as I  checked  citizens'  with French last names in the Caribbean, Montreal, South Pacific, and the United States. Searched Will,Church and Burial records in various Countries of the World,

In 1989, when my daughter left Town for University studies at Tuskegee University in Alabama, I went with her to study and seek to find an American connection to the Poitiers in the early American Colonies, there was non.But, my eyes picked up a trail of another man 'Charles Potter", a slave owner from Rhode Island whom I assusmed was the Slave Owner I seeked.

No comments:

Post a Comment